Thursday, November 02, 2006

Doors!

Today the contractor is coming to install the doors! I am SO pleased. We don't have all the floors down and he'd rather we did but he is going to come anyway.

So rather than doing fibery things last night we cleaned up our tools and other stuff that has been sitting around so the contractor will have clear doorways.

I did, of course, get some knitting done. I started the last strip on the body of the sweater. I am going to check the 'net for errata and if there isn't any out there I should write up the errors I found and post them here. If I didn't have a bazillion hours of knitting experience I would have been stuck more than once.

This has been discussed on a number of knitting e-mail lists I am on, but I still don't understand why designers, writers and editors can't do a better job of editing the patterns. Don't they have knitter friends who would be willing to read the patterns? This pattern in particular had errors like putting one side of the arm stitches on a holder and binding off the other side. I know enough to choose to put the stitches on the holder and three needle bind off the sleeve. I have the knowledge and skill to set in this sleeve - not everyone does.

And before the fury starts - I am not talking about ever single designer who has ever made a pattern anywhere on the planet. Please don't send me scathing comments or emails about how hard they work etc. I know all of that. I know that some designers are very conscientious and do their best to proof their work. I also understand about pressing deadlines, long hours ready the press copies.

That is NOT what I'm talking about. There are some errors in some patterns by some designers that are so obvious that I am at a lost to understand how anyone who knits could have read through the pattern and not noticed. I do realize that sometimes when you proof your own things you read what you intended to write and not what is there, that is why publishers hire editors. Of course not all editors knit, so they may not understand that the directions make no sense. But someone, somewhere knit the samples for these sweaters, unless they were working from directions NOT in the book they must have noticed this small problem. Like casting off the armhole on the wrong end of the body - assuming you followed the directions as written.

That's what I'm talking about!

No comments: