Saturday, November 06, 2010

Nov 6 2010

Meg Swansen and Elizabeth Zimmermann are my knitting heros. I freely admit to a love affair with the baby surprise jacket. Attending Knitting Camp did great things for my fearlessness at knitting (well that, Alice Starmore and Philosopher's Wool).

Today's edition of 'view my stash' is this lovely number by Meg.

.

The yarn is Cascade, and what keeps this sweater from being completed is - my fear that this sweater will be so large that I will never wear it. The finished measurements are more than 10" larger then I am. But I am also deeply in love with it.

Maybe I should buy dk weight? Will that work? And although the yarn is listed as being worsted weight the sweater is knit on size 3.5mm (US 4) needles. Which implies sport/dk weight already, right?

But the gauge is 20 stitches to 4" which IS worsted weight - on size 4.5 (US 7) needles. And so, even though I already have the working copies of the charts and I have read the pattern a few times and can remove 4 inches from the circumference without messing up the design I am too uncertain to start. Even the swatching gives me pause.

No comments: